It’s Never Too Late To Fix Your Smile
Making the decision as an adult to enhance your smile has never been easier, thanks to Invisalign technology. With Invisalign, you can correct several orthodontic issues without the discomfort or obvious look of braces. You may think it is not worth it to spend the money on fixing your teeth now that you are out of childhood, but this is a common misconception. Fixing orthodontic-related health issues now can save you time and money in the future. Issues like TMJ, difficulty chewing, and bone erosion can all be prevented by making sure your jaw and teeth are properly aligned. Straightening your teeth is also a huge self-esteem booster! Instead of hiding your smile or laugh, a straight smile can give you the confidence to fully be yourself and show your true emotions. If you think Invisalign could be a good fit for you, read on to learn more about this wonderful innovation.
How Does Invisalign Work?
When you come to the orthodontist for a consultation, we will explain the Invisalign process in detail and allow you time to get any questions or concerns answered. Using the new iTero scanner technology, we can take digital impressions of the teeth and create a 3D model for you to look at with us. iTero uses a radiation-free laser to scan the teeth and soft tissue, rendering a perfect model within minutes that can be viewed via computer screen. This non-invasive, fast technology is our way of saying goodbye to those uncomfortable trays that everyone despises when taking dental impressions.
Invisalign uses clear plastic aligners to gently move teeth to their desired position. Every one to two weeks, your orthodontist will provide you with a new set of aligners designed to make another incremental change. You must wear your aligner for 20-22 hours a day to ensure that pressure is consistently exerted on the teeth. With Invisalign, you can eat whatever you want, whenever you want. All you have to do is pop your aligners out during mealtime, and make sure to thoroughly brush your teeth before putting the aligner back in.
Invisalign can be used to treat many of the same issues that braces fix including overbites, underbites, gap teeth, and overcrowding. Since the aligners are made of a smooth plastic material instead of metal brackets and wires like braces, Invisalign is known to be a more comfortable option. The aligners eliminate the possibility of wires poking out, or friction between brackets and the inner gums. You may experience some soreness after switching to a new aligner, but this can be alleviated by eating softer foods or taking a pain reliever such as Advil or Tylenol.
What Are the Benefits of Invisalign as an Adult?
- Treatment time: the Invisalign process takes 12 to 18 months on average, which is on par with braces treatment time.
- Invisibility: Invisalign is so inconspicuous that most people will never know you even underwent treatment. The clear aligners are practically invisible to others, and they are made of very thin plastic that does not cause any speech impediments.
- Practicality: Invisalign asks for minimal time commitments from your end. You will only have to visit the orthodontist once every six weeks for a short check-up and to be given new aligners. The aligners are very effective at doing their job, are barely noticeable, and allow you to continue your lifestyle as normal.
- Low Maintenance: It is very easy to care for your aligners, just make sure to incorporate a few steps into your daily routine to get the best results. You should brush your teeth after eating to make sure no food gets stuck or stains your aligners, and try to brush your aligner every day or so with a toothbrush and toothpaste in lukewarm water.
- Comfortable: Invisalign prides itself on being a more comfortable alternative to braces. The smooth aligners do not cause any friction or irritation of the soft tissue inside your mouth. The only discomfort you are likely to experience is when changing aligners. This sometimes leads to minimal soreness around the teeth for a day or so but can be managed with medication and softer foods like soup, mashed potatoes, and ice cream.
How Much Does Invisalign Cost?
The final price of your Invisalign treatment will vary based on which orthodontic issues you need to treat. Typically the process will cost around $3,000 to $7,000, though your insurance provider can sometimes cover up to thousands of dollars in treatment cost. You can also inquire about any payment plans available at our office to make the process more manageable.
Is It Possible to Switch From Braces to Invisalign?
It is possible to switch from braces to Invisalign in certain cases, but you would need to consult with Dr. Thabet to see if this is feasible and would be a good choice for you personally.